.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

30 Day Blog Challenge Day 6

30 Day Blog Challenge

Day 6: Your Views on Mainstream Music

I can sound off on this one, LOL. My hubby and I talk about mainstream music frequently. Music is everywhere and you can't help but hear it - either in department stores, commercials, cars with loud music, ringtones, etc.

When I think about mainstream music I often wonder if I have turned into that adult that used to bash our music back in the 90s - back in MY day. In my opinion we had some good stuff! But I refuse to think I have become that "old person." In the 90s we had our share of foolishness with songs like:

However, we had a lot of songs that had positive messages like:

I think the difference between then and now is that the foolishness in mainstream music today outweighs the positive messages - they barely exist. I truly feel that they were more positive songs and harmless music back in the 90s. Not all of it was harmless (i.e. Cop Killa) but we had a lot less violence and disrespect. Sometimes I am shocked at what I hear on the radio in the middle of the day. In the 90s, where I lived, songs about sex didn't come on until after 11pm.

I feel that mainstream music is giving the young people of today a false impression of the world. Life is not all about parties, fast money, cars and sex. If you sit down and listen to the words of a lot of the popular songs they can make you feel bad about yourself because you don't have everything they sing about and make seem is important. I know it's all for entertainment but does that young impressionable child know that? When I have my godchildren with me - they do not hear secular music unless I know for sure it's harmless.

Question: What happened to groups? We used to have TLC, En Vogue, Jade, New Edition, Boyz II Men, Kid N Play, 702, Bel Biv Devoe, Xscape, etc.