.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Preparing for Afro Independence Day

If this will be your first time styling your hair into a real afro it can be a frustrating process - well it was for me the very first time.

My problem is that my hair is so soft that it does not want to hold the afro shape. If I try to make and afro by just picking it out, it will fall. Kinda resembles Leela James' hair - not that I mind because her hair is beautiful but when I want a 'fro, I want a fro.

I put together a quick tutorial that shows the steps I go through to form and shape my fro and it all starts with two strand twists.


1. Wash, condition, and apply a leave-in conditioner.

2. Twist hair in sections that have been detangled very well. Overall I had about 18 two strand twist. If I am not leaving the house I will do less, about 6-10.

3. Steps 1 and 2 are typically done the day or night before step 3. Once hair is dry carefully untwist each twist and finger comb.

4. After all twists are finger combed out use a pick or wide tooth comb to separate the hair even more. This is where care detangle becomes a very appreciated benefit. If your hair has been detangled probably you should be able to do this step without ripping out your hair. However, if you find this step a little difficult I would recommend continuing to style with your finger.

5. When making an afro shrinkage is my friend (honestly, I love shrinkage). I spray my hair with either plain water or an essential oil/water mix. Lately I have been using Care Free Curl/Water mix. I spray, shape, let dry. Because it's a light mist it only takes a few minutes to dry. I repeat this step until I am satisfied with the shape.

Happy Afro Independence Day!