.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Yarn Braids? Yes!

I have seen on YouTube and read a lot on the the blogs about a protective braid style known by many as "yarn braids" or "genie locs." Since I now have some free time back in my life I decided to give them a try. Another reason that the timing to try them out was perfect was because the last two weeks of the year are causal days at my job and if I didn't like them I could easily throw on a hat. (Natural hair and hats - I love the combination).

Some of the tutorials I watched on YT to learn how to do yarn braids are here, here, and here.
A blog that I found extremely helpful is here.

I did learn a few things with the braids:
• Braiding in small sections gives better results. Larger sections results in a lot of space and a lot of  visible scalp.
• Don't braid too tight or close to the edges. I had about 10 braids that I did a little to tight for my liking.
• Moisturize each section before braiding. The last thing you want with a protective style is breakage. Handling dry hair too roughly will lead to breakage.
• TIME. Putting in yarn braids so that they look good, takes t - i - m - e!!
• A spray bottle filled with your favorite moisturizer is great for daily moisturizing.


Side


Ponytail

Front


Rear

Thoughts?
I love the outcome! This is definitely something that I will do again. When time allows and I am looking forward to trying out some styles with the braids.


If you have tried yarn braids, do you have any tips that you would like to share?