.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Tornadoes, Hair, and Sunshine

This weekend (04.16.11 - 04.17.11) was a crazy weekend. First North Carolina got abused by storms and tornadoes. People's homes were pick up and thrown, cars flipped, and lives lost. The most amazing story I have read thus far is the one about the 3 month old baby that was taken by the tornado winds and then found safely on a stack of wood.

See photos of the destruction here: NC tornado disaster

Around 2pm we lost power and the wind picked up. I was in the middle of deep conditioning my hair. So I checked the weather report (thank God for our technological advancements) on my phone. The tornado was predicted to hit our area around 4pm. So I rinsed my hair and used the remaining day light coming through the window to start twisting. If the tornado came early at least I would already be in a bathroom.

By 3:30pm I was done with my hair so we waited in the windowless bathroom until it sounded calm. We heard wind and then it got quiet. We looked out the window and it was raining, then it started to hail, then the sun came out. It was bright beautiful sunshine.

In the end God watched over us. We suffered no damage whatsoever. Not even one shingle blew off the house. But the damage 5-10 minutes down the street from us is devastating. Two HBCUs in our area have had to cancel classes for the remainder of the semester.
 
As a result of  styling my hair in the midst of a storm, I have to call this look "twisted in a storm." I did have to SMH at myself because only I would be in the bathroom doing my hair during a tornado warning.

My heart goes out to every person in each state that suffered a loss with this storm.





Click here to see the inspiration for this look.
Since we didn't have power I did this look from memory. I should have more twists in the front and the back was a guess because there is not a shot that shows the hair from the back.