.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

What a weekend!

Originally the trip to Atlanta was planned as a girlfriends/ladies weekend. It just so happens that the majority of the group have natural hair and the natural events in Atlanta that weekend was a plus for most of us. So outside of shopping and eating we attempted to attend some natural hair events.

Curly Girls Rock - 04.29.2011
The turnout for this event was amazing and it was held in a cute little space. When we arrived (right around 6:30) the line was wrapped around the building. My theory is that most of the attendees knew about those awesome goody bags and really wanted to get there on time so that they would get one. Once inside the setup was nice there was a DJ in the back corner, tables and lounge chairs, and vendors setup in  the back with hair and make-up services. Overall this event seemed to be pretty well organized for it to be a first.

So, what did I not like? Well it seems that "mixer" means different things to different people. In our group that attended one of the ladies was pregnant. We assumed that this event would truly be a mixer with samples, vendors, and networking; she would have been fine attending if that was the case. The setup inside was more like a club. The music was loud, it was dark, and bars setup. I actually noticed a few pregnant ladies and some older individuals and quite a few of them looked uncomfortable. We were about to leave but finally found an area for our friend to sit. I don't club so I felt really uncomfortable (I mostly attend Homecoming events once a year and even those are held in hotel ballrooms). That was really my only complaint - the club atmosphere. After the giveaways were called we left and it was actually still light outside. I was really concerned about my friend more than getting my money's worth. I would have never suggested the event to her if I had any thought that it would be "clubby."

World Natural Hair Show 2011
There is not much to say about this event because - WE COULDN'T GET IN. Boo! According to some tweets I read, over 65,000 people showed up on Saturday. We stopped to ask for assistance on where to park and two different officers told us that the Fire Marshal was shutting down the event for the day because there were too many people in the space. So, if you got in please leave a comment below on what you thought about the event. Looks like I will definitely be attending the NC Natural Hair Care Show in June. I gotta get  my fix somehow.

Inside Curly Girls Rock 2011

Line outside Curly Girls Rock 2011

Curly Girls Rock goody bag