.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

You Asked...I Answered



You Asked:
"Hi Tiashauntee,
I absolutely love how creative you are with your hairstyles.
I recently BC'd, and I only have about 2 inches of hair, but I am looking to the future and my potential styling options.
It looks like a lot of naturals out there know how to braid and flat twist and all of that, like it comes naturally. I, on the other hand, have been relaxed since I was about 10, and I've been doing my own hair since then. I am pretty proficient in roller sets (on relaxed hair), two-strand twists (on relaxed hair), and of course, I was advanced in flat ironing, LOL. On my natural hair, however, I've done wash and go's (which I've mastered) and finger coils.
I am just curious as to how much skill you need to do these styles. The flat twisting looks incredible, and I wonder if I would be able to do this style. Also, I have NO idea how to cornrow, and I would love to learn this.
What do you think?
"

I Answered:
For years I had absolutely no hair skill. In college (2000-2004) I had my roommate or either paid someone to cornrow my hair. The entire concept made no sense to me. I didn't learn to flat twist until about 2006 (?) and it took a lot of practice. I wish I would have know about YouTube and blogs years ago. It would have saved me a lot of headache. So in my opinion you can start at a skill level of zero and still have a chance to master all those braid and twist styles you see. Check out and study some YouTube vids to start and if those don't help see if someone around you will help you learn the steps.

You Asked:
"Hi Tia, hope all is well with you..I have a hair question for you in regards to my daughter's hair, looking for all the help I can get. My daugther's hair is EXTREMELY dry and course. Her hair is very coil..I believe a type 4. Can you recommend products to help me with this problem. I am looking for a product that will not only quench her dry hair but also add shine, not to mention soften it all around, especially her hairline and her "Kitchen". Also is there a product that can smooth her hairline? I really appreciate your help in this matter. Thanks"

I Answered: I don't like to recommend specific products because everyone's hair responds differently. I would however recommend a deep conditioning weekly with a creamy moisturizing conditioner and finishing with a water-based a leave-in conditioner. When I was young my mother would wash my hair and load it down with grease while wet and that helped seal in the moisture and gave me soft big soft ponytails. I am not saying use grease but rather the technique. So what I would do is:
•prepoo her hair (that can be done in a style) early on the day that you plan to wash it (or night before) with some type of oil (EVOO is a good one)
•shampoo (optional, you could cowash) with a mild product
•deep condition (which does not have to be 30 min+, I DC for 10-15mins)
•rinse
•apply leave in
•then apply an hair butter and style while still damp
If you can't style while damp then I would mist the hair with water when I am ready to style and then apply a hair butter to style. I hope this helps