.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Split Ends aka Trichoptlosis

This past week my husband and I celebrated our first anniversary in Jamaica. The last thing I wanted to be concerned about was my hair so I decided to do individual braids all over. It was the perfect style for our trip. I could get in and out of the pool and co-wash without having to detangle and style.

When we got back I was looking at the ends of my hair and I have more split ends than I have ever senn in my life. I recently made the decision to focus on growth but how can I if my ends are split and can't maintain length. This has led me to researching how to properly care for my ends.

This is what I found:

Split ends are also known as trichoptlosis. The most common cause of trichoptlosis is the type of manipulation that hair is subject. Abuse from chemicals, hair dryers, curling/flat irons,
and rough combing/brushing can result in split ends. Splits ends cannot be repaired with some magic formula, they must be trimmed off using sharp hair scissors.



A few tips for preventing split ends
  1. African-American hair dries out faster and that can cause ends to split
  2. Small tooth combs can fray hair - use wide tooth
  3. Friction from your pillow can cause breakage - use a satin scarf or a satin pillow case
  4. Trim your ends every few weeks (most hair grows about 1/2in per month cut more frequently, you will not see any length)
  5. Deep condition at least every two weeks
  6. Use a daily moisturizer - focus on the ends
  7. Apply a light oil after using a water-based moisturizer to seal in the moisture
Since I am trying to obtain length I am also going to (try to) refrain from letting my hair hang on my shoulders. I know the all day exposure to friction can't be good.